It’s time to start driving some traffic with paid advertising options, a smart move, let’s take a look.
If you are not getting the response you want from your free advertising efforts, you may want to start adding some low-cost paid methods to the mix.
Every successful entrepreneur knows that part of an effective business strategy includes reinvesting profits. You don’t need a fortune to get started, but you do need to be prepared to turn around some of your profits and plug them back into the company. Even a small advertising budget can go a long way toward making a big difference in the amount of money your business brings in.
Fortunately, there are plenty of inexpensive but effective advertising methods available to you as an Internet marketer. Here are just a few examples:
Ezines, or online magazines. There are hundreds of thousands of ezines in circulation today, concerning almost any subject imaginable. Advertising in ezines can be highly effective (and cheap!) if you take the time to do your homework.
In order to effectively advertise in an ezine, you need to target your audience and track your responses. This means you must have some way to keep track of where your website visitors come from, so you can concentrate your advertising dollars on those publications that bring you the best results.
Choosing the ezines to advertise in is another important factor. Here are some things to consider when researching ezines:
• Subscribe to the ezine yourself and read several issues to get a feel for the type of material they include
• Know your target audience so you can readily identify ezines that might interest them
• Don’t discount ezines with smaller circulations. Often, ezines with fewer subscribers are more thoroughly read, which results in a higher response rate for your advertisement
• Target ezines that feature a limited number of ads per issue so yours does not get lost in the crowd, and ensure the ezine employs a policy of not running similar ads in the same issue (so you don’t end up directly vying with your competition)
How do you find these ezines? Enter “ezine” or “ezine directory” in your favorite search engine along with your topic, and you will turn up thousands (or millions) of hits. You can also subscribe to a paid ezine databases for access to an enormous listing of ezines with constantly updated information about subscription bases, advertising rates, and distribution demographics.
You can also bid on advertising space in targeted ezines at a website such as www.ezineadauction.com, which may prove more cost-effective and time-saving than traditional ad space purchases.
Inexpensive and effective, pay-per-click programs allow you to pay for advertising only when people actually visit your website. Programs such as Google AdWords and Yahoo! Overture list links to your website along with brief descriptions on search engines, usually on the first, second, or third page of results depending on the amount you “bid” for each keyword, and the maximum amount per click you set. To learn more about pay-per-click programs, (as I don’t want to directly recommend one) a quick google search will bring back plenty of good results.
Paid advertising options similar to pay-per-click advertising include:
• Pay-per-lead: These programs list your website on other sites your potential customers may visit. If your products are services interest them, they can fill out a voluntary registration form, download a free product, or enter a contest that will bring them to your website.
• Pay-per-sales: This type of program is also referred to as an affiliate program (you will find more information on affiliate programs further in this chapter). Other websites advertise your products or services for you in exchange for a small commission, according to the predetermined terms you set. Find out more about affiliates at www.clickaffiliate.com
• Banner ads: Banner ads are those flashy, eye-catching square or rectangular graphics you have probably seen on several websites. Banner ads usually operate on a pay-per-click basis: you pay a preset amount to the hosting website each time a visitor clicks on your banner.
Opt-in email marketing
This is one of the most expensive paid advertising options, across Internet marketing . However, it’s also one of the most effective.
What is opt-in email marketing? Simply put, you purchase a targeted list of email addresses and start sending them advertisements. Sounds like spam, right? Actually, the addresses you receive with an opt-in list purchase are people who have expressed interest in the types of products or service you provide, and have agreed to receive advertising. With an opt-in list, you are already a step ahead of the marketing game.
Before you purchase an opt-in list, there are two steps you should take. The first is to investigate the list provider and make sure their company is legitimate. If you purchase a list from a company that doesn’t use opt-in confirmation, you will end up spamming thousands of potential customers and probably turning them away from your business forever.
Second, you need to road-test your marketing message and ensure that it is effective before you purchase a list. You will end up wasting money if you obtain a list of targeted customers and fail to impress them with your material. Make sure that your advertisement has already produced results for you, and then invest in an opt-in list.